As the weather cools down, weekends are heating up throughout the region with the Autumn racing carnival hitting Goondiwindi, Toowoomba Weetwood and more picnic races in the months ahead. At Florence and Marabel, we love racing season and have made sure we have plenty of beautiful dresses, shoes, accessories, and beauty treatments and services to ensure you have the perfect outfit to turn heads by the track. While Summer certainly has its perks, the heat can be limiting when choosing an outfit for the races. Luckily, the cooler months mean we have more choices when it comes to materials, hats, textures and patterns. Here are our top three trending tips for Autumn race day dresses: LACE: Lace is a beautiful choice for Autumn country and picnic races. It's feminine and classic, and by opting for a heavier and thicker lace, you will stay warm into the evening. You can also pair a lace dress with a bold lipstick shade for a vintage look. WINTER FLORALS: Florals are a great option for those who like to add a bit of colour and pop to an outfit. If you opt for a floral patterned frock, keep your make up neutral and let the dress make the statement. RICH HUES: Deep tones of colour in dresses like burgundy, emerald and deep blues are currently trending and are the perfect option for an outfit you can dress up with a hat, headpiece and statement jewellery.
ABOVE: Alexandria wears the Superstition Dress by Finders Keepers, available in store on online here. Hat also available in store.F&M'S RACE DAY RULES: Unlike other events, there are a set of guidelines that should be followed when planning a race day ensemble. There are also several things you can do throughout the day to make sure your outfit and make up lasts the distance. Here are some tips we've found to be helpful!
- Don't show too much skin - the races are a classy affair, not a place for mini skirts. Aim to expose either the legs or décolletage, never both. Knee length skirts and dresses are an elegant option if you'd like to show off a revealing neckline!
- It's Autumn, nobody is expecting a perfect brown summer tan anymore - you're off the hook! A bit of colour always makes a difference, but go easy on the fake tan and opt for a lighter shade.
- Don't wear new shoes! Make sure they've been worn in and are reasonably comfortable because you're going to be standing in them for most of the day. Closed or open toe boots are acceptable for winter racing, or a thicker heel.
- Consider felt, leather and other heavier materials for millinery and hats.
- Black and white are always in fashion.
- Make sure you have the essentials in your clutch - bobby pins, band aids, sunglasses, lipstick, powder and cotton tips.